Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 2 - Did I mention I don't like storms???




Beginning Mileage - 71231
Ending Mileage - 71702

St. Louis, MO to Gretna, NE

We'd spent the night with the heat on as it turned cool! It also got stormy at daybreak. We got up at 5:00 a.m. and got ready to pull out by 7:00 a.m. About that time, a severe thunderstorm warning for St. Louis was issued. Really strange clouds were overhead with lots of wind. WICKED LIGHTNING! We ran into some rain, but no hail. I will admit I was scared! I just knew the Airstream was a HUGE lightning rod!

Headed toward Columbia, MO, a Ford pickup passed us with a vanity tag that read "FLIP99." Unless you're a NASCAR fan, you wouldn't understand. That's Carl Edwards number (99), he drives a FORD for Roush/Fenway Racing and when he wins he does a backflip off the car door. Columbia, MO is his hometown.

We also passed a Dodge Raider. I don't recall ever seeing one of these. Strange looking vehicle!

It's springtime here again. While the redbuds bloomed in Alabama, they're just now blooming here in Missouri. It's beautiful here, but the pollen counts are probably through the roof! LOL

Since the storm passed, it's been extremely windy and cloudy. I kept looking for the storm spotters to be everywhere. David and I had watched several stories on TV about a guy who built a TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle). IMAX is using his footage he shoots for another film. It looks like a tank! David kept teasing me it was on an overpass, about to pass us, etc. I just knew we'd pass a truck with Doppler Radar on it....didn't happen, though! LOL

A little later, a truck did pass us with STORM SOLUTIONS MIDWEST on it. It was pulling a beautiful silver chopper. We wondered if that's how they chase tornadoes or get away from them!

1:00 p.m. and time for lunch. Did some shopping at Wal-Mart, got fuel and headed back to the road by 2:00 p.m.

Got to Iowa at 3:22 p.m. ROUGH ROAD!

Got to Nebraska at 4:40 p.m.

It's 59 degrees, 20 mph winds and cloudy. Heat's back on! I didn't bring enough winter clothes for my summer vacation! LOL

Light dinner and out with the dog walking in the park.

Reading: Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas. Bought The Shack at Wal-Mart to read.

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i googled the dodge raider and it looks eerily close to an early model mitsu montero....i bet they modeled the montero after the raider, since the two are daimler-chrysler owned...

Unknown said...

I like how you spent an hour in Iowa. Don wishes that's all he'd spent there, too.

BTW, my brother is a geek.