Friday, May 16, 2008

Day 5 - WIND!







David got up early to fix breakfast. He cooked bacon outside as they wind had "died" to about a steady 10 mph. It was sunny and cool and a great day to cook out. Then he asked me for the eggs....what eggs? I couldn't find them in the fridge and the fridge isn't that big. We realized we left them in our fridge at home! George and Deborah - PLEASE take our eggs home with you and use them! LOL

James is feeling better after a trip to Wall Drug. Yesterday he took a nasty fall from the truck. His feet came off the base! A little super glue later and a nice rest in the RV today and he'll be back on the road with us tomorrow.

Headed to the Wounded Knee Museum - wasn't open. Decided we try to post office - wasn't open. Most of the stores in the Wall Drug area were open. We visited most of the shops and found a few items. We got some homemade donuts and David got the $.05 coffee. We each got two donuts, but I only ate one. I wrapped the other in the paper they came in and then wrapped a paper napkin around it. It went into my purse for later.

By now the post office was open so we got more stamps, mailed a package, and some bills. Off again!

This time the Wounded Knee Museum was open. It was interesting. I'm reading "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee." They also had the DVD, so we'll probably watch it tonight. We talked to one of the locals who "fought" in the Wounded Knee battle in the 1970's. He's not impressed with what they do.

By now we've learned something the hard way. The wind here is blowing at a steady 30 mph with higher gusts. They don't consider this windy! We found if you open both truck doors at the same time, all the paper in the truck begins to swirl like a tornado! Now we get in one at a time!

We tried to visit the Missile Museum yesterday, but they were booked for the day. Went back today and got our name on the standby list for the afternoon. They had room for one of us...not both. David let me take the underground tour. You tour the control center which looks from the outside like a regular ranch house except for the "stuff" around it - radar, poles, wire, etc.

You tour the upstairs area first and then taken an elevator 31' down to the control center. David missed this part, but they did let him tour upstairs twice! He actually got two different tours. We learned that these sights used to cover South Dakota, but they don't have any live ones here anymore. These places were "hidden" in plain sight! The missile silo we visited was a 1/2 mile from the interstate.

We met a guy carrying a gnome. Seems he "appropriated" it from a neighbor's yard. It's going on a trip from Arizona to Bermuda! See, I'm not the only one who likes friends to vacation.

We came back and settle down to get ready for dinner. It was really quiet with Chrissy so I thought I'd see what she was doing. She was very quietly and calmly eating my donut. She'd gotten it out of my purse, unwrapped it, and half of it was gone when I noticed it! I only hope that donut looks better on her than it would on me.

I just learned on the local weather that the winds are Chinook winds. It's warmed up to 80 degrees here with 40-50 mph gusts. The trailer moves with the wind.

David has taken laundry to be done. Running low on towels and other unmentionables. They have 3 washers here and it's $1.25 per load. Not too bad.

Tomorrow we're back on the road and headed for Hill City, SD.

Reading: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and The Chili Queen (Sandra Dallas).

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments: