Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 47 - Amarillo by morning - errr - later afternoon




Woke up early and realized something was wrong. My left eye had something in it. Tried washing it out, but no luck, so I thought maybe I'd just scratched it. Didn't get any better. We stopped along the road at a grocery store and David got some plain tears eye drops. The pharmacist told him that if it wasn't better if a couple of hours to get it checked. Back on the road.

Strange things on the road (according to David's terminology):

Free Range Solar Fried Chicken
Dry Aged Road Kill (YUCK!)

We got to Texas at 2:30 p.m. and now we're back on Central Daylight Time.

Looked for a WalMart with an optical center along the way as the eye isn't better. We finally found one - in Amarillo. Dr. Luke and Kim could not have been nicer! Kim lives in an Airstream similar to ours! Dr. Luke took me back and started looking at my eye. He put some staining liquid in my eye, but didn't see any cuts or scratches. I'm kind of funny about my eyelids and when he flipped my lid up, I just about had a stroke! LOL It was there he saw the great offender! I had a grain of sand embedded in the upper lid! He deadened the eye so I wouldn't freak and run and very gentle cleaned the upper lid and the lower part of my eye. He told me I wouldn't know if anything else was in there until the feeling came back, but he didn't see anything else. He gave me some drops for it and told me to call his cell if I had any problems or come back on Saturday if I needed to and he wouldn't charge for a visit. He and Kim were super!

We got set up at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park. The sites are HUGE! We're right down the street from the Big Texan Steak Ranch and we planned to have dinner here. We made a reservation for 7:00 p.m. and a limo with horns showed up to pick us up. Our camping neighbor, Jerry Lewis, was waiting to go, too, so we decided to have dinner together. Dinner was great! We also had a coupon for a free desert and it was Texas-sized, too! In the picture above, you see a table near the cooking area. If you can eat a 72 oz. steak and all the trimmings within an hour, you get it free. That table is reserved for them! Unfortunately, no one was willing to try it that night. Take note of the trash can. Guess what it's for????

Here's a link to the restaurant: http://www.bigtexan.com/

We took the limo back to the campground and talked a bit. My eye feels much better. Two songs keep coming to mind: "Dust in the Wind" and "The Answer My Friend is Blowing in the Wind."

Tomorrow we'll visit Palo Duro Canyon.

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments: